Creating a Location
The following section describes how to create a new Location that your Forms or Activities can link to.
You can link a Form or an Activity to a specific Location. This way Users can link their data to a specific Location during data entry in the Classic Interface or link their Form Records to a Location via a Reference Field. Location types are libraries of Locations stored in the platform and can be linked to any number of Activities and Forms as long as they are set in the same country.
The Location can be:
- Created by you
You can choose to use a Location that is already available in the Public or in the Build-in list of Locations or you can create a new Location Type to have full control over the Locations your users can choose from when performing data entry.
For example, you can add the Location Type "Schools" and then add multiple schools as Locations in it. Then, in data entry Users will be able to pick one of the schools to link the data they submit to it. Other examples of Location Types are villages, health centres, water points, etc.
In the Classic Interface you define the Location when you design a new Activity and you fill in the Common Activity Properties. In the New Interface you can link a Form to a Location by using the Reference Fields.
If you are using a Global Database you don't need to add every country as a Location to a Location Type. You can use the built-in geo-database and Reference the Location Type "Countries" in you Form. In an Activity, when you fill in the Common Activity Properties, select as Location Type "Countries".
When you create a new Location Type, you can use it in all your Forms or Activities in the Database and in all the Databases in the same country.
How to Create a Location
- Define the Common Location Type Properties.
- Click on the "Save" button.
- The New Location Type is saved and appears on the Form and Activity Grid.
Be aware that the Location Type you create will be visible and available to all users with a Database in the same country where you create your Location Type. Please DO not store any information in Location Types which is sensitive or personal and choose a name which clearly distinguishes your Location Type from others. If, for example, you choose to upload your own list of Districts when there already is an Administrative Level called "Districts", make sure to add something to the Location Type name which helps to distinguish it from others. For example: "Districts (for UNHCR RRP)".
- Select the Location Type by clicking on it.
- Click on the "Open Table" button on the Design Toolbar.
- On the Location Type Designer, click on the "New" button, on the Locations Toolbar.
Take a look at the Location Property Fields and their explanations before creating a New Location.
Repeat the same process to add all the Locations you want to add to the Location Type.
When removing or editing a Location, keep the following in mind:
- If you remove a Location where data has been submitted, the submitted data will be unaffected: it will not be deleted and will remain linked to the old Location. However, you will no longer be able to filter your reports using the old Location.
- If you edit an existing Location, all data linked to this Location will be automatically updated as well. Please keep this in mind if you decide to significantly move the geographic Location as all reported data will move along.